Timeline of my Adventures in Writing (thus far)
Born and raised in: Indianapolis, IN
Discovered love of writing in: Ninth grade English class when I was the only one excited about the 5-paragraph essay.
Went to college in: The hills of East Tennessee
Majored in: Humanities
In college, I wrote: Some love drivel I thought was poetry, a short story, and a really terrible play that I only let two people read (thank goodness).
In May of 1997: I graduated college, got married, moved to Northern California and became pregnant. It was a busy month. I did no writing except my wedding vows, which are pretty important.
In Winter 2003: I earned an Education degree and decided I’d rather be the one reading and writing instead of teaching. I began really focusing on learning about the writing industry and practicing the craft. I also moved to Michigan.
In 2009: Had my first novel signed with a literary agent, which ultimately did not sell.
In June of 2010: I moved to back to Indianapolis.
In July of 2010: Started our critique group, now known as the YA Cannibals.
In Spring of 2011: Became a Search Media Editor with Slingshot SEO and eventually co-managed the Creative Department.
In November of 2012: Underwent brain surgery for a nerve disorder in my face.
In March of 2013: had my second novel signed with a different literary agent.
Exactly one year later: I quit my day job to focus on my fiction.
Some Trivia About Me
- I love writing with Paper Mate pens – blue. I press hard enough to feel the indentation on the other side of the paper.
- I doodle with Paper Mate flair pens. I should probably buy stock in that company.
- I am afraid of slugs and worms, even though they can’t bite or scratch, and I can outrun them.
- I cry at the ballet. Every time.
- I remember very little about books I read. They wash over me and then fade away, mostly.
- If I could go out to eat for every meal, I would.
- In high school, I considered a career in the military, but went to college instead.
- My favorite movie is The Goonies.
- Mint Chocolate M&Ms are so good that I often find myself clapping with happiness when I eat them.
- I have a dog named after Raymond Chandler’s most popular character.
- I met my husband during a college production of Romeo And Juliet. I was the costume mistress and he was Guard #2, but the first time I ever saw him, he was streaking the drive-in movie.
- Kurt Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle made me love reading.
- Jerry Spinelli’s Stargirl made me want to write YA literature.
- The most important things I’ve learned about writing have come from reading other books and doing research on the Internet.
- I’ve never taken a writing class.
- My critique group, the YA Cannibals, is my church.